Water Filter Cleaning Tips
Many modern fridge freezers come with external water filters set into the door, with particularly common models having this feature being French Door Refrigerators. Refrigerator water filters will purify any water and ice produced meaning you can get fresh and clean tasting water, free of impurities and sediment at the touch of a button.
Most refrigerator manufacturers recommend that you change your water filter at least twice a year, but if you don’t want to do that you can instead look at cleaning the fridge’s water filter – and hopefully you might be able to extend the use of it until you get around to buying a new one. Here’s how you do it.
Your water filter is typically found in the lower grille of the refrigerator or sometimes inside the door compartment. You can remove most water filters simply by turning them to the left, as you would normally with any item that’s screwed in to a fridge.
If your water filter is different to this style then check instead for a button as some modern fridge freezers have a button that will release and drop the filter down. Once removed do the following:
- Get a waste or garbage bin and hold the water filter over it.
- Tap the top of the water filter to make any sediment or debris fall off into the bin.
- Take any common household cleaner (non-toxic preferably) and soak the insides of the refrigerator filter. You can buy specialized water filter cleaners – see Amazon links.
- Let it remain soaked in a dish or bowl for at least fifteen minutes.
- After the fifteen minutes are up thoroughly clean and rinse the filter with warm water, but make sure at not a high pressure as this could damage the elements inside.
- Now let your clean fridge water filter sit and dry, and once completely dry you can place it back in the refrigerator and start to use the fridge again.
Please note that we have also recently published a How to Guide on: How to Replace Samsung Water Filters. The guide can also be used on other major best refrigerator brands such as Amana, LG, Frigidaire, and Electrolux.
Featured Refrigerators with Water Filters
Fingerprints Cleaning Tips
Stainless steel refrigerators add a touch of class to most modern kitchens, but if there’s one drawback of stainless appliance, it’s how to remove fingerprints and other annoying smears. Simply wiping the refrigerator down with a cloth might get rid of some stains, but unfortunately hand prints (especially those of young children) can be a little trickier to remove.
If you have fingerprints on your stainless steel refrigerator or fridge freezer then there is one sure fire way you can remove them and keep it clean. This is what you need to do, and what you need to buy and some hints and tips on how best to do it.
Firstly you will need to buy some WD-40 because believe or not, this is the best spray to for stainless steel refrigerator fingerprints removal. Don’t bother using any off the shelf window cleaner or glass kitchen surface cleaners – they quite simply are not as effective as WD-40 is.
This product is without doubt the best way to clean stainless steel refrigerators because it will protect metal against moisture and stops will also help with corrosion.
If you don’t own any WD-40 then you can buy some on Amazon with free or quick shipping so it should arrive in a couple of days. I’ve included a link to product so you can buy it online today. Once you have it follow these simple instructions.
- Spray a small of amount of WD-40 onto the affected area, and make sure you do this from a safe distance of at least 1 foot away.
- Polish the fingerprint area with a paper towel, and then wipe away any residue that might be left once you are happy with the results.
- Now get a new paper towel and drip a few drops of water onto it – you can then shine the refrigerator until it looks gleaming.
Removing Fingerprints from the Samsung RF4287HARS Fridge Freezer
One fridge freezer that commonly has this issue is the Samsung RF4287HARS model. If you do buy it then you should now be able to keep it clean. Click here to see our comprehensive Samsung RF4287HARS review to see all the cheapest online prices for this superb model.